Fire engineers

Owners of buildings required to complete part 3 of the combustible cladding checklist will need to engage a fire engineer.

A Fire engineer is defined in the Building Regulation 2006.

A fire engineer is an engineer registered in:

  • Fire engineering
  • Fire safety

Fire engineers who are wanting to work in Queensland need to contact the Board of Professional Engineers of Queensland on 07 3210 3100 or visit their website for more information.

Fire engineer's process

  • Engagement
    Engaged by a building owner to prepare and sign a building fire safety risk assessment (BFSRA) and a fire engineer statement (FES).
  • Sampling and testing
    Collect sample and send away to a lab for testing (if required)
  • Provide documentation
    Give the completed BFSRA and FES to the building owner and copy to the:
    - relevant local government
    - QBCC via:
Email Icon
Postal address icon GPO Box 5099 Brisbane QLD 4001
Offices  visit a QBCC office.

This must occur within five (5) business days of the BFSRA and FES being signed. Penalties may apply.

NOTE: current forms must be used to comply with the Regulation. Available on Resources page

  • Record keeping
    Fire engineers must keep a copy of the BFSRA and FES for at least 5 years.

For more information about the obligations of a fire engineer read the Guideline for assessing buildings with combustible cladding.

Want to know more
- Frequently Asked Questions ( )
- Resources - including the Regulation, fact sheets and forms
- Commonly used cladding products ( )

Last updated
19 January 2022